Friday, June 26, 2015

Defending Play in K!

I came across a pin on PINTREST by Herding Kats In Kindergarten !!! It said, "You can discover more about a child through play than in a year of standardized tests." 
                                    DUH.
I couldn't have agreed more! So, I wanted to add my two cents on this matter :)
With a BS in Birth-Kindergarten and now obtaining a MEd in BK: Leadership and Administration I know the importance of hands on learning. I taught NC PreK for two years and moved to K this past school year. There was a world of difference, but I stayed true to who I am as an early childhood educator and catered to my students play through learning, creating a fun environment based on what we were learning. For example, I created redwood trees in the classroom when we discussed the rain forest (sorry, no photos from the classroom, but....)

Image result for redwood trees

For one of my graduate courses, I did research on the topic of the Power of K! The Power of K position statement is one to read!! It basically lets you know that K classrooms in NC need to be engaging and have interactive experiences. K-8 years old is the age that is crucial for early learning; within this age range students are in their prime time for growing, learning, and developing. I am a true believer that students learn through their environment and real-life experiences. Real life experiences are hand on what the children know...so, teachers need to bring this into the classroom!

Image result for early childhood education

Herding Kats in Kindergarten's Center Signs with the "I Can" statements is so smart and beneficial to centers in the classroom. The only "I Can" statements I had were on the white specifically only for reading, writing, phonics, math, science, and social studies. 

Bright Colors Center Signs

This upcoming school year I will have specific centers in my room, such as art, cozy area, library, manipulatives, writing, sand/water and listening. Unfortunately, no blocks or housekeeping due to limited funds, but that will be soon changing!!

Image result for early childhood education

I will keep you updated ! Herding Kats in Kindergarten: Defending Play <--- check it out!

Herding Kats in Kindergarten

0 comments:

Post a Comment